The Learner Driver’s Manual will give you all the skills you need for success!
‘Learning to Drive’ covers the basics of driving lessons from the beginning; moving off and stopping, changing gears, junction work and manoeuvres, all the way up to and beyond the standard required to pass the driving test.
It will help you become a better and more confident driver, with tips on how to develop your skills and improve your planning and anticipation.
It even includes lessons on motorway driving which you can practise with your instructor. Or use it as a reference for yourself once you have ditched those ‘L’ plates.
Before we Begin
Before you get behind the wheel of a car on a public road, you must be sure of several things:
- You have a category B provisional licence – the easiest way to get one is to apply online at: https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence. If you’ve a full licence in another category, that may also act as a provisional for category B
- Your eyesight must be up to standard (can you read a car number plate from a minimum of 20 metres away?)
- The car is insured to be driven by you
- The vehicle is in roadworthy condition; it’s taxed and has an MOT certificate if necessary
- Anyone sat beside you must be over 21 years old, and must have held a full category B driving licence for at least 3 years
- ‘L’ plates must be clearly displayed to the front and rear of the vehicle (but NOT stuck in the windows where they may restrict your view!)
Once you’re ready, you can use you can use The Learner Driver’s Manual to learn with a friend or relative; or to reinforce and revise the lessons you receive from your driving instructor. Whichever way you use it, it will help you to become much more than a learner driver.
This is one of the Learning to Drive series which includes:
- The Highway Code & Theory Test Revision Questions for Cars
- Teaching a Learner Driver (A guide for amateur instructors)
- Learning to Drive – (The Learner Driver’s Manual)
- The Learner Driver’s Logbook (Lesson plan & progress record)
- The Driving Test & How to Pass (An examiner’s guide to the ‘L’ test)