Get an HGV Licence – Apply Now!



If you want to get an HGV licence or drive a passenger carrying bus for a living, you need to satisfy a few requirements. You must already have a full car licence, be over 18 years old and pass the four part CPC course (Certificate of Professional Competence).

get an HGV licenceYou can however drive a lorry or bus providing it is not your main occupation in certain circumstances by passing parts 1 & 3 of the CPC. These are situations such as:

  • when you carry passengers or personal goods where this is not done for commercial reasons or financial gain
  • driving vehicles to and from test centres (such as MOT stations)
  • when you are using the vehicle in an official service such as the police or army
  • when the vehicle cannot exceed 28 mph

There is a list on the Gov.UK website where you can find the full list of exemptions.

Vehicle Categories

You must choose which licence category you want to apply for. Here is a list of those categories and what they entitle you to drive.

Medium-sized vehicles

  • Category C1 – You can drive vehicles between 3,500 and 7,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) with a trailer of up to 750kg
  • Category C1E – You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg. The combined MAM of vehicle & trailer must not exceed 12,000kg

Large vehicles

  • Category C – You can drive vehicles over 3,500kg with a trailer up to 750kg MAM
  • Category CE – You can drive category C vehicles with a trailer over 750kg


  • Category D1 – You can drive vehicles with no more than 16 passenger seats, a maximum length of 8 metres, with a trailer up to 750kg
  • Category D1E – You can drive D1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg MAM. The combined weight of vehicle and trailer must not exceed 12,000kg MAM


  • Category D – You can drive any bus with more than 8 passenger seats towing a trailer up to 750kg MAM
  • Category DE – You can drive D category vehicles with a trailer exceeding 750kg


You will also need to take a medical and have an eyesight test before you can hold a full CPC bus or lorry licence. Visit the DVLA website where you will find forms D2 and D4 to apply for your provisional licence and medical.

Part 1 & 2 Theory Tests

Once you have received your licence, you may book the Part 1 or Part 2 theory test.

The Theory Tests  >>>


Scroll to Top